Signal has already become the number one app on App Store globally and has seen over 10 million downloads on PlayStore. The app saw a surge in downloads after WhatsApp’s infamous terms of service started showing up on people’s notifications. So far Tesla CEO Elon Musk, American whistleblower Edward Snowden and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey have publicly recommended using Signal. The app is available on Android, iOS, and desktop. Here is how you can get access to the app.
The Signal app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google PlayStore. For iPhone users, The app works on iOS 9.0 or later and is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. For Android users, it works on Android 4 and higher versions.
Here’s how you can download Signal app from Google PlayStore or Apple App Store:
Tips for iPhone Users:
- iPhone users should tap on ‘Get’ to download the app.
- Select Install. iPhone users may be required to enter Apple ID credentials.
- Tap on Open.
- Enter your phone number.
- iPhone users will be required to select ‘Activate This Device.’
- You will be required to enter a six-digit code that the app will send you via SMS.
- Once you verify the code, tap on Submit. Users can manually verify the code or allow Signal to copy it directly.
- Signal will then request permission to send you notifications. Tap on Allow.
- You will be required to set your profile picture and name. This name will be shown to your contacts on the app.
- Tap on Save or Skip as per your requirement.
Signal will require the sender as well as the receiver to download the app.
Tips for Android Users:
Android users can also set Signal as their default app. This will help users keep their Signal messages and SMS in one place. To enable this option, users should tap on use as default SMS app. Signal, will, however, to encrypt those messages that are not sent via the app, that is, Signal will encrypt messages only if both users have the Signal app.
Signal allows users to send end-to-end encrypted group, text, picture, and audio and video messages, and make encrypted audio and video calls.
To compose a message on Signal:
Signal will request permission to access your contacts. Tap on Okay or Allow If you do not give Signal the permission to access your contact, you will be required to enter your contacts manually.
Users should select the contact and tap on the pen icon to type in a message on Signal. Users who do not have Signal will be sent a regular SMS. You can also migrate groups to Signal from current messaging apps.
To initiate an end-to-end encrypted audio call:
Signal users can make encrypted calls to contact, by selecting that contact and then tapping on the phone icon. When the recipient accepts the call, users will see a small padlock icon next to the phone icon.
To initiate an end-to-end encrypted video call
Users have to follow the same steps to initiate video calls on Signal. You may have to allow Signal to access your camera and microphone.