- On behalf of the Lecturers and staff of the Department of Sociology and Social Work, the HOD expressed their heartfelt appreciation to the SOCSA executives of the 2019-2020 Academic year and the members of these noble Association for making this possible.
These items for academic work were procured by the 2019-2020 SOCSA-KNUST Executives and presented to the Department of Sociology and Social Work which was received by Dr. Jonathan M. Dapaah (Head Department-Department of Sociology and Social Work ), Dr. Kwadwo Ofori-Duah (Patron – SOCSA-KNUST) and Mr. Benard Obeng (Department Examinations officer)
Master Amonoo Akwasi Asare, President Of THE SOCIOLOGY STUDENTS’ ASSOCIATION, KNUST was elected overwhelmingly by the members in arguably one of the largest Departments in KNUST to lead as the President on 1st April 2019. Since he assumed office, Mr. Amonoo and his Executive council have been relentless to the course of which they have submitted themselves to serve. The administration has really been supported by the Alumni especially Mr. Sadat Afari Samuel and Mr. Joel Ansah.
The 2019-2020 SOCSA-KNUST administration is young, yet it has witnessed so many proactive steps towards enhancing the academic freedom of over one thousand and two hundred students in the Association and beyond.
Since 2019-2020 SOCSA Executives assumed office, they have initiated so many activities which are as follows;
1.The Sociology Webinar Series:This offers students in the Department an opportunity to have time and interact with the Alumni group on the job prospects of the programme after school. It also offers an opportunity to interact with prominent past students to engage and educate students on sociology. This initiative has been very helpful to our Freshmen.
The 1st Edition was held on 18th October 2019 with the Valedictorian of the 2018-2019 graduation batch. Master Ansah Joel
2. Through our SOCSA APP initiated by Mr. Sadat Afari Samuel, we have created a platform where our lecturers and students can have convenient environment to discuss academic matters.
3. Our Saturday tutorials initiated by the 2019-2020 Academic Board of SOCSA-KNUST also helps students to have a grasp of what they missed during normal classes hours.
4. In order to assist students by making learning materials easy to access, we have uploaded all reading materials from level 100-400 on Google drive.
5. The Master Asare Amonoo led Administration has acquired two(2) Epson Projectors, one(1) Public Address System, two(2) HDMI cables, two(2) VGA cables, two(2) Set of microphone batteries and two(2) extension boards
for the Department of Sociology and Social Work-KNUST.
6. The Inter-level Sociology Debate was also initiated by the Academic Board.
7. SOCSAKNUST REP your club Jersey Wednesday, which was on 30th October 2019, was also initiated by the Vice President (Miss Asana Issaka) together with the Organizing Secretary (Master Wellington Blay Melvin).
This, I strongly believe will go a long way to create a healthy environment for teaching and learning.