What is monkeypox?
Monkeypox is a zoonotic disease caused by the Monkeypox virus
How can someone get Monkey Pox?
The Monkeypox virus can be spread from animals to lumans by:
- Coming into contact with blood, body fluids and lesions of infected animals (squirrels, rats, monkeys and others)
- Consuming poorly cooked meat and animal products of infected animals.
It can also spread from human to human through:
- Droplets from coughing, sneezing etc
- Contact with blood, body fluids and rash of infected individuals
- Contact with contaminated clothing and linens of infected individuals.
How long will it take from the time of contact with an infected person or animal for one to start showing symptoms?
It can take between 5 to 21 days from the time of contact with an infected person or animal to when one starts showing symptoms.
Source: Ghana Health Service