The National Cadet Corps (NCCG) of Ghana is an amalgamation of Army (GA), Navy (GN), Air Force (GHF), Police (GPS) and the Fire(GNFRS) Cadets in Ghana. It came into establishment in 1954 under the ministry of education, with its current form and organization being establish in 2002, under the Ministry of Youth and Sports.
The Cadet Corps of Ghana, was first established in 1954 at the Ghana Secondary Technical School (GSTS), Takoradi in the Western Region (with just a handful of student cadet). Currently the Corps has membership school strength of about two-hundred and twenty-three (223) and a numerical strength of about sixty-five thousand three-hundred and eighty (65,380) in all ten regions of Ghana.
The national cadet corp has the following as its command and administrative structures.
- His Excellency the President – Commandant In Chief of the Cadet Corps
- His Excellency the Vice President – Deputy Commandant In Chief of the Cadet Corps
- Minister of Youth and Sports – over seeing Ministry of the Cadet
- Ghana Education Service
- Ministry Chief Directors
- Cadet Headquarters
- Sectoral Headquarters
- Regional Headquarters
- District Headquarters
- Schools Cadet Corps
Source available to Hypercitigh.com indicates that Ghana Secondary Technical School Cadet Corps is older than the Ghana Armed Forces.
Ghana Secondary Technical School , GSTS Is the First school in the Gold Coast to establish a cadet corps (in 1954).
The Ghana Armed Forces (GAF) is the unified armed force of Ghana, consisting of the Army (GA), Navy (GN), and Ghana Air Force.
The GAF are supervised by the Ghanaian Ministry of Defence founded in 1957
Read Also: GSTS To Hold Its 109th Speech And Prize-giving Day/Alumni Homecoming
Just Recently The Giant 84-led project, “Adopt a Cadet” toke off on November 20 , 2018 with the delivery of the first batch of uniform to the cadet corps at the campus. Representing the 84Giants are Gt. Col Essien and Gt. Hon Abbot. The items were received by the headmaster and the GAA secretariat (Gt. Simpson and Gt. Koomson). Supporting are reps of the cadet corps and school management.
The initial items are
53 x pair boots
52 x uniforms
40 x berets
40 x belts
35 x caps
40 x cap badges
The Ghana Secondary Technical has produced notable alumni such as
- Matthew Quashie– former Chief of Defence Staff of the Ghana Armed Forces
- Fred Ohene-Kena– former Minister for Mines and Energy.
- Peter Kofi Faidoo– chief of naval staff
- Nana Akomeah(New Patriotic Party)
- Badu Akosa
- Alfred Ekow Gyan(Deputy Western Regional Minister)
- Ollenu Ashittey*Aerospace Engineer NASA
- Kwesi Akwansah Andam
- Ebenezer Oduro Owusu (Vice Chancellor University of Ghana)
Source: GSTS Alumni Association