The Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has advertised that it is accepting applications from suitably qualified persons for appointment as head of security services.
It is unclear if this vacancy is as a result of the recent happenings in the University.
Since the official conversion of all traditional halls of residence into mixed ones by the school’s management, students, especially of the University and Unity Halls have suffered violence from the school’s security.
In October this year, the students of the school embarked on a protest to register their displeasure for the brutalities they were suffering in the hands of the school’s security.
The protest which turned violent, resulted in the damage of properties worth over GHC1m.
Read Also: Knust looses right to host university games.
Furthermore, the Ashanti Regional Minister after consultation with school authorities and the Ashanti Regional Police Commander imposed a curfew on the school and had the school closed down, with students asked to vacate campus.
Following the intervention of the Chancellor of the University, Asantehene Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, investigations were made into the matter and academic work has resumed.
Read Also: China’s Ambassador To Ghana Calls On KNUST Vice-Chancellor
Although the sequence of events may suggest that the former head of security services has been relieved of his position, UniversNews cannot authoritatively state that for a fact.
However, on the university’s website, the position is being advertised for suitable candidates to apply.
Read More about the Appointment of Head of Security Services for KNUST on the Link Below
According to information on the school’s website, the Head of Security Services shall be responsible for the
- Implement strategic security plans of the University;
- Supervise the Security Services and ensure the security and safety of life and property on campus;
- Policing, investigations, and intelligence gathering;
- Liaise with the appropriate offices of the University, the Police and other Security Agencies, on matters bordering on the security of the University; and
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Also, the prospective Candidate must be:
- A Security Officer not below the rank of an Assistant Commissioner of Police or its equivalent in the Ghana Armed Forces/ other analogous Security Organisations;
- Duty conscious and have the capacity to manage crisis situations;
- Sober with maturity and drive for sound and impartial judgement; and,
- A good communicator with good inter-personal skills;
Source: www.universnewsroom.com &Hypercitigh