The Interim Students Representative Committee of the Student Representative Council (SRC) of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has eventually appointed interim leaders to steer the affairs of the council for the nonce.
This follows the inability of the SRC’s Electoral Commission to organize elections to elect main executives for the 2020/2021 academic year.
The failure of the SRC to organize elections as a result of the closure of the school due to the Covid-19 pandemic led the SRC parliamentary Council to pass an Interim Student Representative Council Committee Act, 2020 known as the ISRC which was to see to the appointment of the interim executives.
The Interim Students Representative Committee was made up of five (5) members consisting of a chairperson and four (4) members. Comprising;
(i) A representative from amongst Elected-College Executives.
(ii) A representative from amongst Elected-Hall Executives.
(iii) A representative from amongst Elected-Non Residential Executives.
(iv) A representative from Institute of Distance Learning (The same representative in GRASAG Parliament).
(v) The Clerk of the incoming House.
Per the ACT, the Chairperson of the ISRC shall be elected by the members from among themselves to be the Interim president.
Pursuant to that the Interim Students Representative Committee on Thursday July 30, 2020 elected a 4th year Bsc. Agriculture student, Mr. Ether Abu Ayim as the Interim KNUST SRC president for the 2020/2021 academic year.
Mr. Ether Abu Ayim until his appointment was the elected Member of Parliament for Ayeduase in the non-residential caucus of the SRC parliament in the 2020 elections.
Other interim executives appointed include
2. Martin Darko Dankwa- Vice chairperson
3. Adriana Cornie- General secretary/ Wocom
4. Phoebe Etornam- Financial secretary
5. Lord Amoono-Parker- member
The responsibility of the ISRC will be to;
- To represent students until the SRC elections is organized.
- To continue with the organization of the SRC and NUGS Elections within the first 14 days upon the commencement of the new academic year for continuing students.
- It is required of the committee to consult the outgoing Electoral Commissioner on processes taken so far to conduct the SRC Elections.
- To ensure that power is properly transitioned within seven days after the elections, to the duly elected SRC executives.
- Any other decision to be taken within this period shall be made in consultation with the Dean of Students office. This may include; NUGS and USAG Congresses.
DURATION AND LIMITATIONS
(1) The Interim Students Representative Committee shall not undertake any activities that will require the use of funds unless it is towards the organization of the SRC Elections.
(2) The tenure of the Interim Students Representative Committee ends once the 14-day period upon the commencement of the new academic year elapses.
(3) The tenure of the Interim Students Representative Committee may only be extended by the Dean of Students for a maximum of 5 days (where necessary). The extension must be for the purpose of organizing the SRC elections.